The Best Advisors you can use
These constitute the best advisors you can use and how to utilize them when buying in the New Orleans area:
1) People that live in the area you like...walk the streets, bike the area and talk to people. Nothing will give you unbiased and straightforward advice as good as this. New Orleans is a place that is easy to be you...and easy to talk to others. You can watch videos, iPads and all the technology and websites in the world...but nothing beats being in the moment and in the physical place. To understand New Orleans is to walk the streets, feel the breeze, the sun, the shade. When one takes in the smells of the flowers, the touch of the rain drops off a 150 year building, the sun against a brightly colored backdrop of a home that makes you smile.
visit stoopstory.com and start to get a feel of the people and places....this will be your greatest asset in understanding the world you about to enter
2) Professional, experienced Realtors® who live, work and invest in the areas they are showing you.
There are buyers think that a Realtors® job consists of opening doors and talking light superficial talk about a house as if you are on the Travel channel, then in the middle of a tour, we break for a 30 second commercial, they get the keys to the house and everything is hunky dory.
That will happen...never....especially in New Orleans.
There are several competent, knowledgable Realtors in the metro area but before you go looking at anything, make sure the agent can complete a list of questions that include:
1) How long have you lived in the metro area?
2) Do you own a home here? Where and why?
3) Do you own investment property here? Where and why?
4) What is your professional background? Do you have any additional certifications or qualifications beyond a real estate license?
5) Can you explain the historic architecture styles in 5 minutes or less?
6) What differentiates you from other Realtors®?
For more information about choosing the right Realtor® for you, visit realtorgumbo.com
3) Professional, local mortgage professionals
Technology is great...it's application in mortgage world not so much...at least in certain parts of the country like New Orleans. This is primarily because we have a variety of housing stock and means and methods for living on what is in essence a series of islands bound by water at the lake and water at the river and bodies of water everywhere else.
As such, out of town based mortgage companies struggle to understand our architecture, culture, people, places and how we value properties....they get very confused, all the way down to the end of financing until the deals completely fall apart at the seams of a poorly made pair of cheap jeans.
Luckily for Buyers there is a strong community of local banks, mortgage companies and credit unions that have the pulse of the real estate environment and are receptive and ready to loan on all kinds of homes...both commercial and residential at very competitive rates. A large part of this is due to the intimate relationship mortgage professionals have with the New Orleans area...a series of neighborhoods that are not spread out like other areas....much like a small town, with their individual idiosyncrasies that make it distinctly New Orleans.
These finance professionals can help direct the best way to leverage your cash on hand when negotiating a home.
Other stakeholders include local insurance companies who understand the complicated nature of flood elevation certificates to get you the best rates and help you understand wind and hail policies and how they affect your bottom line.
Your experienced Realtor ® will be able to provide a list of these professionals that best suits what you are looking to buy.